Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Missionary Training Center!

After some tender goodbyes in Idaho Falls...


 
Blackfoot Stake Center after being set apart as missionaries by President Bill Sponenburgh.
Mom and Dad drove down to Provo on Saturday, March 12. Arin got them all checked in and dropped off! 
 
They had a busy weekend and by Monday were writing home to say this:


We officially started our mission and received our name tags!  Both Elder Scott and I were quite surprised when we received them as they are in Dutch.  We had no idea that was coming!  We were called to an English speaking mission, and were asked by President Egbert in early January to learn Spanish.  English, Spanish and Dutch is spoken in Curacao.  There is a fourth language on the island - their native language of Papiamento.  We both feel very confident that whatever language we speak we will have the help of the Lord - and all will be just perfect.

Being in the Missionary Training Center, or MTC, is magnificent!  I love the spirit here and how much love you can feel here.  They take very good care of us.  We have attended a devotional each night we have been here - and were they amazing. Tonight we listened to a rebroadcast of a talk Elder Bednar gave last Christmas day (Sunday 2015) about the Characteristics of Christ.  Amazing!  He said that it is not enough to have a testimony of the Gospel - we must be converted to the Gospel and we need to understand the difference.  I do understand the difference and want to increase my conversion to Christ.  Last night we listened to a talk by Elder Holland where he stressed obedience and opening our mouths.  I love listening to our Apostles.  I never feel overwhelmed by what they say or ask of us - only feel hope and "I can do it" thoughts.  Also attended a general devotional last night where Elder Stephen Allen (managing director of the MTC) spoke.  He, too, was excellent and talked about the love our Heavenly Father has for each of us.  Tomorrow night is a General Authority speaking to us.  Can't wait to see who it is....it is a well guarded secret until the meeting.

Food at the MTC is the best!  No complaints from me....  Yesterday while at the cafeterial I was looking across the room at the hundreds of young missionaries and mentioned to Elder Scott what a beautiful site it was.  The joy in their faces was something to feel and behold.  He replied with "it is just like when we serve at the temple, everyone is here because they want to be here".  So true...and I have thought a lot about that and can honestly say that I am where I want to be at this time in my life.  I have come to complete peace that Elder Scott and I have done our best to prepare to leave our family, business, home and life behind as best as we could.  I completely trust the Lord to watch over my children and grandchildren - our greatest treasures.  I know they are all in His care - and I show my gratitude for and to Him by being the best missionary and daughter of God that I can be.

I love the Gospel and being a missionary.  I am excited to share my love of the Savior with others.  ~ Elder & Sister Scott
Can you see this little island about 40 miles long?

Here we begin!

1 comment:

Merritt and Heather said...

"Being where you should be, doing what you should be doing, when you are suppose to be doing it" - Right place, right action, right time is the key to a success in life. Seems like you're both "right" on all 3 counts. I will be reading your blog regularly for "tips" as Heather and I prepare to follow in your footsteps when our "Right Time" comes.